certificate of residence
CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCE
Certificates of Residence are issued Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 4:15 by the
Tompkins County Finance Department
125 East Court Street, 2nd Floor
Ithaca, New York 14850
APPLICATIONS CANNOT BE SUBMITTED SOONER THAN 60 DAYS BEFORE CLASSES START AND MUST BE OBTAINED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF CLASSES BEGINNING.
For an application form, click HERE.
1. FILL OUT APPLICATION
- Must list last 4 years of addresses
- No P.O. Boxes
- Mail to Tompkins County Finance Department, in which case the application must be NOTARIZED and required proof must be attached.
- Bring in person to the Tompkins County Finance Department. The application should not be signed until signing in front of office staff. You must have required proof.
- Fill out application at our office. Forms are available there. You must bring required proof.
3. REQUIRED PROOF
- Driver’s license/permit
- 1 year’s proof of residency in NEW YORK STATE (must be dated 1 year before classes begin, e.g. Fall Semester requires proof from July or August of the year before; Spring Semester requires proof from November, December or early January)
- 6 month’s proof of residency in TOMPKINS COUNTY (must be dated 6 months before classes begin, e.g. Fall Semester requires proof from February or March; Spring Semester requires proof from June or July)
4. TYPES OF PROOF
- All proof must show name, address and time frame required. Acceptable proofs include:
Bank statements (from actual month required)
Post marked envelopes
Car insurance cards or policies
Cell phone bills
- Items NOT accepted as proof:
Letters from Landlords
- If not a US Citizen, you must bring proof of status in country. Types of proof include:
Resident Alien Card (not a copy)